All posts by Anoop Shah

Meeting 22 Aug 2018

The next meeting of Harrow Cyclists will be on Wednesday 22 August, 7.30pm at 60 Longley Road, Harrow, HA1 4TH


  1. Review of mini-Holland tour
  2. Proposal for Harrow cycle network / Liveable Neighbourhood
  3. Future meeting and liaison with the council
  4. Rides
  5. Next meeting


Meeting 4 July 2018

Minutes of Harrow Cyclists meeting held on 4 July 2018 at 60 Longley Road, Harrow.

Present: Tony, Penny, Veronica

Apologies: Anoop

Mini-Holland visit:

Anoop was organising a visit to Waltham Forest for Harrow Council officers and councillors [now August 9th]. Tony to contact Varsha Parmar to encourage her to engage with us, stressing availability of S106 and TfL funding. Suggested she might see us September. He suggested a basic discussion: why Harrow has such low levels of cycling and why it is not attracting TfL money.

Ride London:

Tony to respond to Thea’s email. Tony will lead into London at 9am and Veronica back at 3.30pm. Possible marshals: Rhys and his sister Ciara; Penny, David Turner, John O’Connor, Mark Humphryes, Breeze Champions Evelyn, Debbie, Janet, Vicky, Nicky; Amanda and Nick Deal, Jo Payne; could do appeal in the Harrow Cyclists letsride Group. Veronica to ask Anoop for Harrow Cyclists leaflets to hand out to riders and to try to recruit marshals. These are especially for Tony to hand out in the morning and publicise our work.

Harrow Cyclists’ led rides:

July – Ride London

August 25th (NB Saturday) – Veronica at 1pm, finishing at Red Cup Cafe North Harrow

Sep 30th – David

October 28th – Penny

November 25th – possibly Anoop? Veronica to ask

Financial matters:

Tony to ask David for petty cash and clarify/update cheque signatories.

Building a Campaign:

We agreed that we needed to widen the campaign and develop a vision to involve other Harrow people and groups, beginning with those who supported the election Liveable Neighbourhoods campaign. Veronica will contact Lib Dem candidates especially Pietro Rescia who is a cyclist and transport engineer [now done – very interested] , also Breeze riders and other candidates. We should get people out on the ‘Quietway’ about to be installed (a few measures along the Met Line). Ask Harrow Council to advertise our rides in their e-newsletter. We have about 40 LCC members (Anoop has list?). Put Harrow Cyclists leaflets on bikes at station parks.

We would finish our rides at the Red Cup Cafe and have a regular meet-up there for cyclists, beginning on 25th August.

Date of next meeting: possibly August 20, 21 or 22. Veronica to check with Anoop.


Ebury Way family ride, 1 Jul 2018

Harrow Cyclists is leading a ride along the Ebury Way, an old railway route in Watford, on Sunday 1 Jul 2018.

We will meet outside Harrow & Wealdstone Station at 0945, Harrow side off Sandridge Close, HA3 5BP

  •  8 miles
  •  Hybrid (off road tyres), Hybrid (road tyres), Road
  •  2 hr 40 mins

Please register on letsride (

Annual General Meeting, 30 May 2018

Our Annual General Meeting was held on Wednesday 30 May 2018, 7.30pm at 60 Longley Road, Harrow, HA1 4TH.


1. Review of the year

We started a series of regular rides, with 8 over the past year, with about 8 people on each ride. We have been using the Letsride website to advertise the rides. A few people have been coming quite regularly.

We organised a ride to the Ride London Freecycle on 29 July 2017, with about 40 people on the outward ride and 15 on the return ride.

We organised a rally for councillors and candidates before the local council elections, and new leaflet to promote our Liveable Neighbourhood campaign.

2. Finances

Income: £360 from Ride London (2016-2017), £2 bank interest
Closing balance £2095 as at 31/3/2018.
Expenditure: (not yet reimbursed) approx £100 for leaflets, web hosting, domain name registration.
Accounts approved. David is the first signatory and Anoop will be the second signatory.

3. Election of new committee:

  • Co-ordinator – Tony elected unopposed
  • Treasurer – David elected unopposed
  • Secretary – Anoop elected unopposed
  • Rides co-ordinator – Veronica elected unopposed

We have potential roles for a campaign co-ordinator, webmaster and social media. Any interested members are advised to get in touch

4. Liveable Neighbourhood campaign

Varsha Parmar is the new portfolio holder for the environment, and we will liaise with her to advocate for new cycling schemes in Harrow.

We will organise a visit to Waltham Forest for councillors and officers. Even if they are not able to cycle, many of the important improvements in Walthamstow Village can be seen on foot.

We should organise a meeting with Varsha Parmar and also talk with Pamela Fitzpatrick, Sue Anderson and Philip O’Dell, who have been supportive of cycling.

5. Future rides

We will lead a ride to the Prudential RideLondon FreeCycle on 28 July 2018, starting at 09:00 from Tesco on Hindes Road (we will check with Debbie @TescoHarrow, Tesco’s community liaison officer, and ask if there is anything they wish to do to support the ride, e.g. fruit, chocolate). We previously used to start at Harrow-on-the-Hill station but lift construction works at the station will obstruct our usual route. We will lead a return ride at 3.30pm. Tony will lead the outbound ride and Veronica will lead the return ride.

We will distribute leaflets at the start of the ride and encourage members to join LCC.

Potential marshals: Rhys, Penny, Mark, Althea Ludrick (new Breeze champion in Harrow – Veronica will ask her)

We need to communicate the change of start location.

6. Date of next meeting

Wed 4 July 2018, 7.30pm

7. Any other business

GDPR – we have a yahoo mailing list and a letsride group which are used to contact our members about cycling issues. We do not pass this information to third parties and no information is retained by us if members unsubscribe.

We will send an email to all members reminding them of the channels of communication with us.

Northwick Park to Harrow Weald Quietway Proposal

This is the proposed route of the Harrow Quietway. The Quietways programme commenced under Mayor Boris Johnson aimed to build a cycle route in each borough, predominantly on quieter roads. Ideally these should be roads along cyclist desire lines from which through motor traffic has been removed. However, many of them have been substandard, either because they follow busy roads or are indirect.

The proposed route has changed several times (see

The sections along Station Road and George Gange Way use existing segregated cycle paths, and the remaining sections are along minor roads with some changes to junction geometry and parking restrictions, but no new restrictions on motor vehicle movement. The toucan crossing of Kenton Road will move about 100m to a more convenient location, and there will be new lighting along the path in Byron Park and the Belmont Trail.

Although this proposal includes some minor improvements, it is indirect, does not form a coherent route and does not follow a cycling desire line. It avoids the direct desire line of Station Road.

Please look at the cyclescape thread for discussion and comment:

Update: Meeting with Sustrans route manager 5 Apr 2018

Veronica and Anoop met with Sustrans to discuss the route. Sustrans has been contracted to be the delivery partner for Quietways but the routes are decided by TfL’s Quietway Delivery Panel. The brief is for a low intervention route that avoids major roads. Within this brief it is not possible to improve the straight line desire lines such as Station Road. However the exact route has not yet been decided, and current thinking is that there will be two more direct branches instead, one from Kenton to Wealdstone (either the existing route via Kenton Recreation Ground, or a parallel route along Francis Road) and another via Gayton Road and Bonnersfield Lane to Harrow Town centre. The connecting link along Elmgrove Avenue will be built but not signposted as part of the main route.

We would like completion of the Belmont Trail to be included in the plans.

Final route of proposed TfL/Sustrans quietway

Harrow Cyclists meeting 28 Mar 2018

Attendees: Veronica, Anoop, Alan, Penny

Apologies: Tony


Proposed Northwick Park to Wealdstone Quietway

The map of the current proposed Quietway route shows that it is indirect and includes a large amount of expenditure on minor changes to roads, such as converting speed cushions to sinusoidal speed humps. The Sustrans designer is James Taylor; Veronica will contact him to arrange a discussion and Anoop will meet with Barry Phillips and contact Graham Henson to feed back on the designs.

Our preferred route would be along the desire line of Station Road. However, if such a major segregated cycleway along a major road is not within the Quietways remit, then resurfacing the whole of the Belmont Trail (rather than just a short section) would be much more useful, and the route can go to Stanmore instead.

Liveable Harrow

Our Liveable Harrow proposals include cycle tracks along desire lines identified in TfL’s Strategic Cycling Analysis, such as along Station Road. We note the comments of one councillor candidate on the web form who stated that he supports a Liveable Neighbourhood and will attend the rally and bike ride, but does not support the construction of cycle lanes along major roads, but then added that he council has a statutory duty to keep cyclists and other traffic moving. We expect that many councillors need education on street design, and will arrange a trip to Waltham Forest mini-Holland for them to learn from the best in London. Anoop has been in touch with Paul Gasson (WF cycling campaign) about this.

Rally & bike ride 7 April

Several councillors and our assembly member, Navin Shah , have stated that they will attend and several others have sent in statements of support.

There has only been one reply on the web form, and we will add questions about party and email address to make the data more informative.

Plan for the rally and bike ride

  1. Hand out leaflets as people arrive.
  2. Introduction / chair – Veronica
  3. Speech – someone from LCC
  4. Specific demands – Anoop
  5. Ask candidates to come to the front and state their name and party – Veronica to ask, Penny to write down names
  6. Pose for photo – Veronica to ask people to arrange themselves
  7. Explain plan for ride – Veronica
  8. Ride – Veronica leading, Anoop and Tony in the middle, Alan at the rear

To do:

  • Find a volunteer to take photographs
  • Press release (Veronica to do)
  • Try to get Glenn’s twitter account @HarrowCyclists
  • Ask LCC for support or a speaker from the LCC central office (Anoop will email Simon Munk)
  • Email all councillors again to ask for their support, to fill in the survey and ask for manifesto support for a Liveable neighbourhood from all parties. Note that the recent ‘Cycling in Outer London’ report recommended that there should be no fixed time for submitting Liveable Neighbourhood bids, so that councils can submit them as and when ready. (Anoop will send another email)
  • Send out a message to members of our letsride group to publicise the event (Veronica will do)
  • Publicise the event on the LCC website (Anoop to do)

Next meeting and AGM

We will find out when David Turner and Tony can make it in order to organise our next meeting, which will be the AGM. In the meantime our rides programme continues, with the next ride being Tony’s ride to Hyde Park on Sunday 29 April.