July 2014 Meeting

Minutes of meeting of Harrow Cyclists 16 July 2014 at Tony’s house

Attendees: Tony Levene, Melanie Smith, Veronica Chamberlain, Rhys Walsh, Anoop Shah

1. Prudential RideLondon FreeCycle Saturday 9 August

The Harrow feeder ride will depart Lowlands Road 9:30am, meeting up with the Brent group at Wembley at 10:15am. Tony will lead. Veronica and Rhys will marshal but more marshals are required.

The return trip usually has only one third the number of riders as many people come home by train. The London Midland route from Euston will be closed but London Overground will be running.

We can advertise it on iHarrow and council website. Veronica to write a press release after the event.

2. Police

Tony Levene has a meeting with the new Harrow police inspector who is in charge of traffic police. Issues to raise:

  • Advanced stop line enforcement
  • Cycle overtaking

3. Feedback from council meetings

Anoop attended the Traffic and Road Safety Advisory Panel (TARSAP) meeting on 15 July. The main topic which takes up a lot of time in these meetings is controlled parking zones, which some residents tend to oppose because of the need to buy permits while others support it in order for more on-road parking spaces to be available for residents. Anoop brought up the issue of cycling and the need to consider cycle provision in all road schemes (whether or not they are ‘cycle’ schemes), for example in the planned redesign of Station Road. Harrow also needs to prepare a bid for TfL funding for high quality cycle routes.

Key routes include:

  • Jubilee route (Honeypot Lane, Marsh Lane).
  • Alexandra Avenue / Rayners Lane to North Harrow and Pinner and/or George V.
  • East-West route to Wealdstone and beyond (Kodak site). Railway bridge needs to be sorted out.

We will write a letter to councillors and invite them to attend one of our meetings. We need to find out who is in charge of cycling (Councillor Barry Kendler is in charge of TARSAP) and who is portfolio holder for the environment. Anoop will collate a list of councillors who supported the Space for Cycling campaign.

4. Cycle parking and cycle hoops

Harrow on the Hill station, Pinner station and the old High Street need more cycle parking. Cycle Hoops have not been approved by the council. Some of the cycle parking money awarded to Harrow by TfL has been spent on unnecessary cycle stands rather than providing parking where it is required.

Veronica will raise the issue of parking at stations with TfL.

5. Any other business

Phasing of traffic lights at Kenton Road near Sainsbury is too short for groups of cyclists; Anoop will inform the council and inform TfL.

The road signing and arrows at the new junction with Headstone Road on College Road are ambiguous, and one member had experienced that this was dangerous. He also wanted an extension of the College Road cycle track. He told Tony he had had a discussion with a councillor who said there was a scrutiny committee who could be approached over council performance. We discussed this in the meeting and considered that the scrutiny committee was geared toward fraud detection rather than assessing the quality of road design and did not think it would be the most useful avenue to pursue. However we will step up our contact with the new council to try to improve the situation.

The Yahoo Groups email system does not seem to be performing satisfactorily, with some members not receiving emails about meetings. It is also difficult to find out who is subscribed. We should investigate an alternative.

Next meeting

Wed 17 September 2014 (originally 10 September).

However our next major event will be the feeder ride to RideLondon FreeCycle on Saturday 9 August. Please come and take photos and help out with marshalling if you can.

Summer Breeze rides for women in and near Harrow

Tour de Harrow Parks, Saturday 19 July 2014

This 19 mile ride will start by Harrow Leisure Centre. It will cover most of the borough of Harrow, with 12 different parks on the route, and although it isn’t a beginners’ ride, we will go at a steady pace and there are some lovely views.

For more details and to register visit http://www.goskyride.com/Search/Details?eventid=43935

Osterley ride, Saturday 17 August

Meet 10am from outside Rayners Lane station HA5 5EG

From Rayners Lane station we shall ride along the cycle path to Northolt bridge then through the ‘racecourse’ estate towards Northolt. The rest of the route will be on quiet roads, cycle paths and the canal tow path. We shall stop in the tea rooms at Osterley for refreshments before returning via a slightly different route. Approx 19 miles.

Please bring a padlock and some money for when we stop and I recommend carrying a spare inner tube.

For more details and to register visit http://www.goskyride.com/Search/Details?eventid=43228

Ruislip to Little Britain, Saturday 3 August

Depart 10am from Ruislip (rear of Specialized Concept shop in Ruislip HA4 7BD)

A circular route starting in Ruislip and riding along cycle lanes, quiet roads and canal tow path through to Little Britain we shall stop for refreshments at one of the pubs/cafes on the Canal before returning to Ruislip via a slightly different route, approx 15 miles.

Please bring a padlock and some money for when we stop. I also recommend you carry a spare inner tube.

For more details and to register visit http://www.goskyride.com/Search/Details?eventid=43785

Ruislip to Rickmansworth Aquadrome, Saturday 28 September

Depart  10am from Ruislip (rear of Specialized Concept shop in Ruislip HA4 7BD)

A ride on quiet roads, cycle paths and through parks via Northwood and Moor Park to Rickmansworth Aquadrome, where we stop for a drink before returning via the same route.

At the beginning of this ride there is a hill up to Northwood, but you can go up at your own pace and we shall regroup at the top. Approx 16 miles.

Please bring a padlock and some money for when we stop, and I recommend carrying a spare inner tube.

For more details and to register visit http://www.goskyride.com/Search/Details?eventid=43786

Annual General Meeting 11 June 2014

Annual General Meeting

Attendees: Tony Levene, Alan Blann, Rhys Walsh, David Arditti, Anoop Shah

Apologies: David Turner, Ayesha Garrett

1. Matters arising from AGM 2013 and review of year 2014

  • Our photoshoot and ride publicity event on 26 April was a success, with a number of councillors attending, and it was covered by the Harrow Observer and the Harrow Times
  • New website, new Facebook page, new Twitter feed
  • New council elected in May, many councillors supportive of cycling

2. Presentation of annual accounts

Harrow Cyclists Income & Expenditure Report 2013/14 (Statement of Financial Affairs)

General Fund (£) Restricted Funds (£) Total Funds (£)
Incoming Resources
Grants (see Note 1) 160 160
Donations 0
Other Income 4 4
Fund Income 0
Total Incoming Resources 164 0 164
Resources Expended
Running Costs (see Note 2) 83 83
Events Costs 0
Fundraising Costs 0
Campaigns 0
Other 0
Fund Expenditure
Total Resources Expended 83 0 83
Net Incoming Resources 81 0 81
Opening Balances at 1/4/2013 1,175 364 1,539
Closing Balances at 31/3/2014 1,256 364 1,619

Note 1 – Grants
Harrow group waived its entitlement to LCC central funding for 2013; however providing a feeder ride for 40 people to Prudential Ride London earned the group £160 out of £9000 received by LCC

Note 2 – Running costs
These comprise internet hosting £33, meeting and photocopying costs £15, other petty cash £35

Accounts signed off for 2013/2014.

3. Election of officers

  1. Co-ordinator – Tony Levene re-elected
  2. Treasurer – David Turner re-elected
  3. Secretary – Anoop Shah re-elected

4. Any other business

David Arditti updated us on the latest developments in TfL based on his recent conversation with Andrew Gilligan. The Harrow Road Cycle Superhighway has been cancelled. The A40 Westway route Superhighway will go ahead. Cycle Superhighway 11 will consist of wide bus lanes with wands along Finchley Road. Westminster Council is amenable to the Regents Park Outer Circle closing to through motor traffic, but surprisingly the Royal Parks oppose it.

Monthly meeting

1. Minutes of previous meeting

We reviewed the ward asks and started to think of priorities that we can recommend to the council.

2. Space for Cycling – did we do well?

Considering the small number of activists we did well to run the photoshoot event and get councillors to turn up.

3. Relationships with new council

The next TARSAP meeting will be 15 July.

We should write and ask for a meeting with the head of the council and the environment portfolio holder. Our frustration that there has been little progress despite many meetings over the past few years. Money would be much better spent on good quality schemes. New regulations do not require traffic calming for 20mph zones so they can be implemented more easily, but the council has always been reluctant to introduce 20mph zones.

Anoop to write to Sajjad to ask about another meeting with council officers before the TARSAP meeting.

4. College Road – report of meeting with councillor over new road mess

The College Road / Headstone Road junction has been remodelled so that both lanes of College Road turn right into Headstone Road. The arrows are confusing – they say straight on for right and left for straight. Some people have encountered conflicts between cycling straight ahead and motor vehicles going straight on. We will take this up with the council.

A nearby issue is the no cycling sign in Roxborough Road south roundabout next to cycle path, which needs to be removed.

5. Pinner Road – can we make it better?

Pinner Road is the link between Harrow town centre and North Harrow. It is marked as a cycle route with an advisory cycle lane in one direction and no cycle facilities in the other direction. There are wide footways but they partly consist of shop curtilage.  The road is too narrow for proper cycle paths unless on-street parking is removed. We think a half-hearted solution is not useful and a proper solution is expensive. It is better to concentrate on other routes initially.

6. Ride London (9 August)

We are planning a feeder ride – same route as last year (mainly LCN route 45 via Wembley Central, Harlesden, Notting Hill) from 9.30am. Tony will lead it. Brent cyclists are doing a feeder ride but they debated about whether it was worth it. Harrow Cyclists could pick up people from Wembley Central station on the way.

Ride London is a Saturday whereas Skyrides in previous years were on a Sunday, and traffic is heavier on Saturday. We will probably not organise a ride back because there are few people and it limits the activities of the people marshalling the ride.

7. North Harrow Community Partnership Sat 5 July 11am-1pm

We should consider having a stand at the North Harrow Community Partnership if we can find volunteers to man it. Tony can be there, it would be good if we could have another person.

8. Prioritising our campaigns

Options discussed in the last meeting:

  1. Double stop lines on the Alexandra Avenue cycle route, giving cyclists priority at junctions
  2. Resurfacing the Belmont Trail to give a smooth surface suitable for road bikes and less-confident cyclists, allowing a traffic-free ride almost from Stanmore to Wealdstone; this is the only dedicated traffic-free route in the borough
  3. Building a surfaced route across the field between Sylvia Avenue, Hatch End and South Oxhey (currently a public footpath well-used by cyclists) and providing suitable gates at either end; this would provide much-improved access between Harrow and Watford.
  4. A segregated route along King Goerge V Avenue between the Nower Hill school traffic lights and the Hatch End roundabout, jcn Uxbridge Road
  5. Segregation on Imperial Drive from the Rayners Lane one-way system to North Harrow
  6. Segregation on Parkside Way, Headstone Gardens and Headstone Drive to allow traffic free cycling between the borough boundary at Petts Hill to the centre of Wealdstone

The Belmont trail is not being surfaced with tarmac – they are using hoggin which becomes muddy in the rain and is not usable during bad weather.

Hindes Road should have measures to slow motor traffic. New DfT regulations will allow cycle crossing parallel to zebra crossing, which might be useful for this junction.

May 2014 meeting

There will be a meeting of Harrow Cyclists on Wednesday 14 May at 7.30 at 60 Longley Road, Harrow, HA1 4TH.

Agenda

  1. LCC Big Ride in Central London on Saturday 17 May – do we want a feeder ride or should we just meet somewhere like Baker St or Euston (depending on which lines are running?)
  2. Our finances
  3. Success of new website
  4. Building on Space for Cycling success (we got into Harrow Times http://www.harrowtimes.co.uk/news/11179184.Cyclists_ride_together_as_part_of_London_campaign/)

Next meeting

The June meeting will be our long delayed Annual General Meeting. We need nominations for co-ordinator, treasurer, secretary, rides organiser. So please get thinking now!

Minutes of April 2014 Meeting

Minutes of Harrow Cyclists meeting 16 April 2014 at Tony’s house
Attendees: David Arditti, Melanie, Tony, Anoop

1. New website

The new website should be publicised it yahoo groups, and people should be encouraged to email with content. There have been some problems with yahoo groups email, with some members unable to send – Tony will ask Glenn to investigate.

We will put more details about the ride on 26 August.

We also aim to create a page for each ward ask. An email address will be included for comments rather than using the commenting function of WordPress, as comments are often not helpful.

2. Annual General Meeting

The AGM will take place on Wed 21 May 2014. Notice of AGM to be placed on website and yahoo group. Invite nominations for:

  • Co-ordinator
  • Secretary
  • Treasurer

No need for nominations to be seconded and people can propose themselves. Local election is 22 May 2014. We are not going to ask for LCC grant money this year.

3. Space 4 Cycling ride 26 April

Harrow Observer — photographer sorted by Tony
Harrow Times — Tony tried to contact, no luck

Someone has to write an account (press release) of the ride for the Harrow Observer. We can also send an account and photos to the Harrow Times.

Anoop will send email to all the existing councillors and publicise it on the Harrow Council website.

Brent Space for Cycling ride starts at 2pm in Vale Farm Leisure Centre.

Anoop to lead the ride. Aim to set off at 10.20am. Ride length to be reduced to 5 miles and make it on quiet roads only – as a publicity stunt rather than exposing people to bad infrastructure.

Leaflets – to order 250 leaflets.

Statement from Harrow Cyclists to councillors (Tony to produce and photocopy).

Before the election, Tony will write a letter to councillors (on paper) and hand-deliver to civic centre.

Tony to borrow publicity material (? banner) on Wednesday. Anoop to email Amy and ask if they can lend us publicity materials to pick up on Wednesday.

4. LCC big ride 17 May

Probably won’t have a ride from Harrow as it is a long ride and not enough people to marshall. Instead maybe encourage people to take the train.

5. Any Other Business

Anoop to ask Sajjad when the next meeting will be.

Tony attended Northwick Park Hospital sustainability week but the event was poorly attended.

Minutes of March 2014 Meeting

19 March 2014, 7.30pm at Tony’s house

Attendees: Tony, Anoop, Rhys, Ayesha, Glenn

Agenda

  1. Website
  2. Publicity event
  3. Publicity materials
  4. AOB

1. Website and facebook

The new Harrow Cyclists website is being built on a WordPress platform and will go live on 3rd April. All new material for facebook should be placed on the new page. When we have enough likes the page will gain a simple address. The old facebook group will be closed on 18 April 2014.

2. Publicity event

We decided on Saturday 26 April 2014 as the date for the publicity event. We chose the morning (10am start at the Civic Centre) to make it more convenient for people. The event will start with a photoshoot, and we will give out leaflets and talk to councillor candidates that turn up. This will be followed by a brief ride around central Harrow, observing some good and bad pieces of cycling infrastructure.

Tony will draft an email for councillors and the newspaper. We will send an email to members for them to save the date.

3. Publicity materials

We will not order the full £99 LCC publicity materials pack, as we will not require hundreds of posters. Instead we will produce Harrow Cyclists leaflets summarising our main campaign points. The detailed cycling plan will be placed on the website rather than printed out.

4. AOB

The next meeting will be on 16 April 2014 at 7.30pm, Tony’s house.

Liaison with Public Health Harrow

Local health authorities have a public health duty to promote walking and cycling, because lack of physical exercise is a major cause of ill health. This responsibility is stated in national guidelines. However, many of the road schemes in Harrow have not improved cycling conditions.
Harrow Cyclists engages with the public health team in Harrow Council to try to push cycling up the agenda, with the aim of improving health and quality of life for people in Harrow.

Minutes of February 2014 Meeting

19 February 2014, 7.30pm at Tony’s house

Attendees: Tony, Anoop, Melanie, Ann, Alan, David Turner, David Arditti
Apologies: Ayesha, Glenn, Penny

Agenda

1. Introduction to the campaign, welcome to new members
2. Website
3. Meeting with council 30 Jan 2014
4. Ratify ward asks
5. Campaign actions
6. Any other business

1. Introduction to the campaign, welcome to new members

The LCC space for cycling campaign aims to make cycling an election issue in every ward in London, to raise awareness and encourage politicians to commit to improving cycling infrastructure.

2. Website and facebook

The Harrow Cyclists website is being revamped, and the holding page was down at the time of the meeting but has since been reinstated. It needs to show more content soon in order to be useful for the campaign.

The Harrow Cyclists facebook group is a closed group, with people needing to be invited, and it can only be seen when people are logged in to facebook. David Arditti recommended that we have a new facebook page instead of a group, and to phase out the use of the group.
Action: Anoop to contact Ayesha and Glenn about setting up the facebook page and website

3. Meeting with council 30 Jan 2014

Anoop and Alan fed back from the meeting and we discussed the LIP schemes completed this year and those that are about to go ahead.

  • West Harrow Recreation Ground – the path through the park has been resurfaced and made into a 4m wide shared use path (previously cycling was prohibited), with new LED lighting. This was welcomed.
  • Roxbourne park cycle path – another good scheme with upgrading of the route through the park between High Worple and Canon Lane.
  • Sherwood road / Northolt Road link to be improved
  • Canterbury Road contraflow in North Harrow completed – however this is poorly engineered, with a very narrow cycle passage between the kerb and the traffic island – it is almost unusable. We will inform the council next meeting that it needs to be corrected. A priority or signalised crossing of Pinner Road would also be useful.
  • Vernon Drive / Honister Gardens link to Belmont Trail – this will be a useful link but should have tarmac surfacing rather than the sand / gravel surface that the council is planning.
  • Imperial Drive – the council had planned to make the footway shared use (even though we wanted a segregated cycle track), but this has not yet been done because of contractor delay. We will recommend a two way cycle track on one side of the road to connect up North Harrow and Rayners Lane cycle paths
  • Harrow Cycling Plan – TfL has suggested that it may prioritise the cross-Harrow route and the Jubilee route, but nothing has been decided for sure.
  • Stanmore to the Thames cycle route – this route will go ahead but the most useful part, the route through Stanmore golf course, may not be built because of objection from the golf course and cost issues.
  • Cycle parking – the council states the contractors should reinstate cycle parking on St Ann’s Road (removed during the refurbishment)

Action: Anoop to feed back to the council

4. Ratify ward asks

We discussed the ward asks – see http://bit.ly/1jZ2aZz
(map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zLDKARCYo6Pg.kGr-U-uBu4p0)

We will try to allocate one or more LCC members from each ward to contact councillors. If we cannot find a LCC member in a ward we will send a letter from harrow Cyclists officially.

We will consider writing to schools and suggest they support our plans. We will also try to engage local groups (e.g. Jetstream triathlon club – Ann).

5. Campaign actions

We can write letters to the press – Harrow Observer. Tony advised we should write letters before the weekend, keep them short and try to raise a specific issue.

Tony will plan for a Harrow Observer press release in early March.

6. AOB

Tony will ask Amy Summers for a list of LCC members in Harrow, so that we can contact them directly about our campaign.