Harrow Cyclists meeting 28 Mar 2018

Attendees: Veronica, Anoop, Alan, Penny

Apologies: Tony

Minutes

Proposed Northwick Park to Wealdstone Quietway

The map of the current proposed Quietway route shows that it is indirect and includes a large amount of expenditure on minor changes to roads, such as converting speed cushions to sinusoidal speed humps. The Sustrans designer is James Taylor; Veronica will contact him to arrange a discussion and Anoop will meet with Barry Phillips and contact Graham Henson to feed back on the designs.

Our preferred route would be along the desire line of Station Road. However, if such a major segregated cycleway along a major road is not within the Quietways remit, then resurfacing the whole of the Belmont Trail (rather than just a short section) would be much more useful, and the route can go to Stanmore instead.

Liveable Harrow

Our Liveable Harrow proposals include cycle tracks along desire lines identified in TfL’s Strategic Cycling Analysis, such as along Station Road. We note the comments of one councillor candidate on the web form who stated that he supports a Liveable Neighbourhood and will attend the rally and bike ride, but does not support the construction of cycle lanes along major roads, but then added that he council has a statutory duty to keep cyclists and other traffic moving. We expect that many councillors need education on street design, and will arrange a trip to Waltham Forest mini-Holland for them to learn from the best in London. Anoop has been in touch with Paul Gasson (WF cycling campaign) about this.

Rally & bike ride 7 April

Several councillors and our assembly member, Navin Shah , have stated that they will attend and several others have sent in statements of support.

There has only been one reply on the web form, and we will add questions about party and email address to make the data more informative.

Plan for the rally and bike ride

  1. Hand out leaflets as people arrive.
  2. Introduction / chair – Veronica
  3. Speech – someone from LCC
  4. Specific demands – Anoop
  5. Ask candidates to come to the front and state their name and party – Veronica to ask, Penny to write down names
  6. Pose for photo – Veronica to ask people to arrange themselves
  7. Explain plan for ride – Veronica
  8. Ride – Veronica leading, Anoop and Tony in the middle, Alan at the rear

To do:

  • Find a volunteer to take photographs
  • Press release (Veronica to do)
  • Try to get Glenn’s twitter account @HarrowCyclists
  • Ask LCC for support or a speaker from the LCC central office (Anoop will email Simon Munk)
  • Email all councillors again to ask for their support, to fill in the survey and ask for manifesto support for a Liveable neighbourhood from all parties. Note that the recent ‘Cycling in Outer London’ report recommended that there should be no fixed time for submitting Liveable Neighbourhood bids, so that councils can submit them as and when ready. (Anoop will send another email)
  • Send out a message to members of our letsride group to publicise the event (Veronica will do)
  • Publicise the event on the LCC website (Anoop to do)

Next meeting and AGM

We will find out when David Turner and Tony can make it in order to organise our next meeting, which will be the AGM. In the meantime our rides programme continues, with the next ride being Tony’s ride to Hyde Park on Sunday 29 April.