Few of us cycle regularly from Harrow to central London – it can be a 40 kilometre round trip.
So most use one of Harrow’s many railway lines to let the train take the strain.
As we live in London – and not Amsterdam or Berlin or Copenhagen – there are rules and regulations.
Here’s how they affect Harrow Cyclists taking trains.
- There are no rules on folding bikes any time, anywhere. But some train operators have their own definition of a folder. Brompton/Mezzo – anything with 16inch wheels or smaller – fully folded are always OK. And although they don’t fit InterCity luggage racks, local trains are OK with 18 and 20 inch wheel folders – typically Dahon. Some railway employees do, however, complain about those full size bikes which fold into two – they don’t fit their understanding of “fully folded”.
- Folding bikes are allowed at any time on deep underground tunnels – that’s the Bakerloo after Queen’s Park, the Central after White City, the Jubilee after Finchley Road, and the Piccadilly after Baron’s Court. All other bikes are banned at all times from tunnel lines. The Metropolitan Line has no deep tunnel track. Nor does the District Line.
- Non-folding bikes are banned on all non-deep tunnel sections of the Underground between 07.00 and 10.00 and 16.00 to 19.00 on Mondays to Fridays (excluding bank holidays). They are permitted at other times.
- London Overground (stations Hatch End, Headstone Lane, Harrow & Wealdstone, Kenton, South Kenton) allows non-folding bikes at all times except between 07.00 and 10.00 travelling to Euston and between 16.00 and 19.00 from Euston. This does not apply at weekends or bank holidays.
- Chiltern Line – (Harrow on the Hill, Northolt Park) bans non-folding bikes in the morning from 7.00 to 10.00 towards Marylebone on Mondays to Fridays (not bank holidays) and from Marylebone from 16.00 to 19.00.
- London Midland – full size bikes allowed at all times except towards Euston on trains time to arrive between 07.00 and 10.00 and from Euston between 16.00 and 19.00. London Midland has a two bikes per vestibule limit so spread yourselves out if travelling in a group.
- Southern (Milton Keynes / Watford to Clapham Junction / Croydon via Harrow & Wealdstone). Bikes allowed at any time between Harrow and points north. Banned otherwise on trains timed to arrive between 07.00 and 10.00 and between 16.00 and 19.00 at Kensington Olympia.
- Local railway operators use buses and not long distance coaches (which have large luggage bays) for rail replacement services. They cannot take non-folding bikes.
- You can download more from (amongst others) here: http://www.southernrailway.